Food fermentation is a process that I didn’t grow up practicing.
When I was younger, food was fast; meals were strategically and quickly prepared after my parents got home from work to fit in between lessons or extra curricular activities. Although health was important, ultimately meals were selected for convenience and ease of preparation.
It wasn’t until I moved away on my own for the first time that I discovered that food could slow down. My broke, 17 year-old, university student self realized that I could easily bake bread instead of buying it. I could make  gnocchi and nut/seed milks for a fraction of the price instead of buying them, plus I knew exactly what was going into them. Sure, it took more time, but I had time to spare and money to save. Eventually this slower food prep just became second nature.

A few years ago, my husband suggested upping our food prep game by slowing it down even further while boosting the health – introducing fermentation to the mix. This has been a game-changer for us so far, introducing pickled veg, sauerkraut, kimchi, wine, and kombucha to our repertoire. The one ferment we’ve had inconsistent success with, however, is sourdough. She has defeated us too many times and I’m ready to get to the bottom of why.

Ready to turn over a new leaf loaf

For my free inquiry I’m going to be jumping into the world of sourdough so that I can finally get a hang of this gosh darn process and create consistent, beautiful, tasty loaves for my family, friends, and I to enjoy.

I’m still working though exactly which questions I want to ask in this inquiry, but some ideas I’ve been playing with are:

• What makes a healthy, happy starter
  • How different qualities of grain affect the rise and bake
  • How using different types of flour in two different starters affect the flavour of the loaf(s)
  • How the methods and timing of the rise affect the bake
  • How using different cooking vessels affects the loaf
  • Research into why sourdough promotes better gut health

I hope everyone is ready to eat bread, because I’m ready to get researching and baking.

-Megan B.